Sr. Principal Engineer - Autonomous Underwater Vehicles Job ID
# of Openings Remaining 1
Residency Status U.S. Citizenship Required
Overview For over 50 years, QinetiQ North America (QNA) has been
providing world-class technology development, engineering research
and revolutionary products to the defense, security, and commercial
markets. Our product offerings include unmanned systems (robots),
vehicle and soldier protection, maritime systems, power sensors and
control systems. Customers rely on us to increase situational
awareness, improve processes, streamline operations, reduce costs,
enhance security and even save lives.
At QinetiQ-NA, you’ll find a dedicated and talented team of
people who enjoy their work and take pride in their
accomplishments. As a member of our team, you’ll work with
cutting-edge technology and some of the industry’s most brilliant
minds. We offer a comprehensive, flexible benefit package including
tuition assistance and career development opportunities. If you’re
interested in working for a technology-driven company that is the
leader in its industry...but one that maintains the fast-paced,
creative environment of a start-up...QinetiQ-NA is the right place
QinetiQ North America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer and does not discriminate against any individual on the
basis of race, color, religion or creed, sex, marital status,
national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, disability, veteran
status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information,
or gender identity.
U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status is
Responsibilities QinetiQ North America
Sr. Principal Engineer - Autonomous Underwater Vehicles
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Based at: QinetiQ North America, Waltham, Mass
This person would be a lead engineer for QinetiQ North America’s
Maritime Systems group located in Waltham MA. In this position this
person would lead design teams to develop solutions for the Navy
and for commercial customers. Typical types of projects would be to
develop Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV), submersible autonomous
platforms with various payloads such as Radar, Sonar and a various
sensors. As lead engineer you would use your vast knowledge of
maritime engineering solutions to interface with customers to help
them develop requirements and propose solutions to meet their
needs. This person will drive the ideation effort by acting as a
marine systems architect to outline major components and interfaces
to best meet the project’s requirements. He/She will direct various
engineering disciplines including mechanical, electrical, and
software to translate requirements into product.
This position will also support business development working
with group management and business development to analyze the
market to understand current needs and future trends. This person
will provide input and recommendations for Internal Research And
Development (IRAD) projects to support QNA Maritime product growth.
Support business development growth by researching and responding
to customer solicitations such as government Broad Area
Announcements (BAA), RFI and RFPs.
Specific Duties :
1. Provide systems level design for variety of maritime
2. System level modeling and analysis
3. Lead design teams
4. Trade studies.
5. Write White Papers and Proposals
6. Interface with customers
Required Skills & Experience:
• Marine Robotics – Experience in developing, prototyping,
testing and troubleshooting UUV/ROV. Experience specifying and
integrating payloads for vehicles.
• Track record of developing innovative maritime solutions for
• Define and decompose system requirements and functional system
requirements, documents specifications, identifies requirements
flow down, design and architecture development, and requirements
• Strong communications skills (written or oral) to lead design
teams and interface with customers
• Experience with underwater acoustics
• Experience in a design role preferably of low volume
high-value machinery and/or equipment
• Good understanding of pressure vessel design, analysis, and
Desired Skills & Experience:
• Previous experience in design of Unmanned Underwater
• Experience selecting materials for underwater applications
• Experience developing electromechanical designs for surface
and subsurface applications.
• Experience operating UUV or ROVs in the environment
• Industry-side DoD acquisition experience strongly desired
• Industry maritime program manager experience strongly
• Experience with DARPA or Officer of Naval Research (from
either industry or government side) is highly desired.
• Analytical Software such as MATLAB & Simulink
1. 7+ years design of ocean equipment and products
2. BS+ in Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering or related
3. Must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents and be able to
obtain a secret level security clearance.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment.
Please refresh the page and try again later.