Technical Manager - Video Architecture
Company: Verizon Communications
Posted on: June 4, 2021
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications,
information and entertainment products, transforming the way we
connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven
by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better
future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of
technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we
are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it.
Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
As part of the video architecture & engineering team, you will
be responsible for leading the end to end video content
architecture, design, integration of all video products within
Verizon, leading a diverse team responsible for defining end to end
video pipeline architecture, working closely with cross functional
teams including network, Verizon Media, product, development, and
3rd party partners, ensuring all aspects of the video content
(audio, video, linear, VOD, metadata, advertisement, entitlement,
DRM, CDN delivery, and video quality analytics) have a viable
architecture, meet business requirements, with on time delivery
with quality of the business roadmap and vision.
The Product service assurance manager is also responsible for
defining video content system performance KPIs: work with the
various technical and business teams to identify their
specifications, data collection and reporting requirements to
measure and track these KPI's, and ensure the right teams are
engaged to address any performance degradation in any of the
- Lead a team an engineering team that consists of video domain
- Lead the architecture, planning, and execution on all video
products roadmap including Fios TV and complimentary services on
mobile and CE devices, as well as over the top video streaming
- Lead the technical requirements, design, architecture
discussions and ensure documentation of the full video pipeline:
content onboarding, acquisition,, processing, encoding, and
delivery including CDN integration.
- Video Quality Engineering: Using industry standard tools and
definitions, establish video QoE KPI's, measure and collect data to
enable both proactive trending analysis and short term alerting,
monitoring, and identify trends and anomalies.
- Lead technical architecture of the advertisement echo system
across multiple entities including 3rd party systems, covering all
aspects of the ad echo system (regional, local, national, VOD,
- Ongoing assessment of latest technologies in the area of video
encoding, delivery, advertisement, and peripheral technologies,
always looking for ways to improve the process and capabilities of
- Act as the vendor manager for multiple 3rd party providers
including both internal and external providers, defining service
SLA, service assurance requirements, and track them to ensure
What we're looking for...
You are a demonstrated leader who can effectively own and
prioritize multiple work streams. You display initiative and
resourcefulness in achieving goals, but are also comfortable
brainstorming and sharing ideas in a team environment. You have
excellent communication skills with the ability to speak
effectively to both internal and external stakeholders. You are
able to partner and build consensus across multiple business and
technology teams.You have attention to detail, adaptable to change
and tight deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree or four ormoreyears of work experience.
- Six or moreyears of relevant work experience.
- Five or moreyears of management experience in the video
- Strong Knowledge of video compression standards including avc,
h264, hevc, h265, av1, etc.
- Strong knowledge of various streaming packaging methods such as
HLS and DASH.
- Strong Knowledge of Streaming profiles for HD and 4k, VOD and
Linear content ABR encoding, including profiles optimizations for
various types of playback devices
- Knowledge of advanced and emerging video standards such as
HDR10, Dolby Vision.
- Good understanding of the DRM (Digital rights management)
ecosystem, content encryption, including 3rd party integration of
Fairplay, Widevine and Playready.
- Strong knowledge of video analytics, Video QoS &QoE
measurements and tools, assessing visual quality using both
objective metrics and subjective techniques.
- Strong knowledge in IP and network technologies and protocols:
IP, WiFi, Ethernet.
- Willingness to travel.
- Experience with data management and analytics tools (such as
Splunk, Qlik, Tableau).
- Proven leadership, with experience leading teams across
multiple remote locations effectively.
Even better if you have:
- A Masters degree.
- Strong and coherent, effective written, and verbal
- Ability to articulate clearly, objectively, and effectively,
and demonstrated ability to gain stakeholder alignment.
- Self-motivated and independently driven.
- Strong business sense, ability to analyze complex business
problems and propose creative solutions, along with the ability to
absorb new ideas
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Good knowledge of software and applications life cycle:
development, testing, operations, cloud technologies, and mobile
- Experiencewith enterprise MPEG Analysis tools, such as
Tektronix, Ineoquest, Elecard, etc
- Experiencewith cloud deployments (Docker, AWS EC2/ECS, Google
- Experiencewith testing environments, and development of
- Experiencewith script writing/automation using languages such
as Python, Ruby, etc. and utilizing REST API's for
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate
our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity
makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive
environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of
belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and
empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check
out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Keywords: Verizon Communications, Waltham , Technical Manager - Video Architecture, Other , Waltham, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!